Tuesday, May 15, 2007

All Gyaan and no work makes Jack a Manager

I really am excavating all my old writings.... Here's another.

I have all along worked in Indian Companies of small-moderate sizes and have taken it for granted that the manager's - Technical and Administrative are great guys who play the game in the fair spirit possible, whose Technical Expertise could always be called upon at any time of problem. So my respect for managers was great and i always looked up to them for their sense of fairness and sound-judgement and thats where i wanted to be.Maybe the greatness of a few of my previous managers (mis-)led me to the belief.

However one stint at an MNC quickly brought me to reality. I realised all that a manager says and does is to be taken only on ACTION rather than on WORDS. Like when a manager empathizes with an employee with his work-content/salary/ anything else, 99% of the time it is to extract the frustration that is hidden in the Employee ( Rest Assured the Action taken during this motive is NULL ), Rest 1% is when he really wants to take your feedback and implement a change ( It is here that his real intent comes out based on how far he takes the feedback and gets it implemented ).
Most of my previous Managers at that point in time belonged to the 1% category and i conviniently assumed that the Industry is full of such people and the Other Type are very few. I was so WRONG.
Maybe that is where my inner sense of frustration at things not going the way i think it should go ( read WIN-WIN situations ) stems from.
But then Darwin's Theory of Natural Survival - Only the fittest survive - kicks in impulsively and the transformation begins.
The Contemptuous way with which any Problem/Individual needs to be seen is built and so is the Undying Confidence in your work ( ANything Wrong is not done by me - It must be done by the other guy in the cubicle or the one sitting across me - IT CANT BE ME ). Naturally with so many pre-judiced opinions and thoughts, the productivity has to be affected. Consequently with such kind of behaviour being applauded, the learning continues and you end up doing no work and only Gyaan.

Quick Self-Appraisal:
Spent half - 3/4ths of the day today dishing out Gyaan.

WOW!!! I am on my way to being a Manager.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home